Monday, May 14, 2012

Dealing With Change

The question most asked from people in my new Iowa surroundings is, "why did you leave California?"  I admit, I was the last person in my family to sign on to the move.  There was really nothing wrong with California.  My wife missed her family and most of them don't like to travel beyond the borders of their home state.  In order to re-unite her with her siblings, the move was necessary. 
Here's how I'm dealing with change:

  1. Keep a positive attitude.  There are good things and bad things in any change.  I choose to focus on the benefits of our relocation.
  2. Keep in touch with old friends.  This blog is my way of keeping my friends informed about my transition.
  3. Get involved in the community.  I tend to go overboard with this and one lesson I learned about volunteering is there is a balance.  I joined the "friends of the library" because I believe libraries inspire readers; without readers, writers would not be able to exist.
  4. Change is part of the process of life.  There can be no Spring without first having a Winter.  Each season has something to offer.  Appreciate every season.
  5. Follow your heart.  I know in my heart this move is the best thing for my entire family.  I appreciate the warm glow my wife exudes.  She is getting the opportunity to be close to her family.
What changes are you dealing with in your life?  Please add your ideas to the conversation.

No comments: