Thursday, May 24, 2012

3 Tips for Successful Blog Writing

3 Tips for Successful Blog Writing



Mike Mulligan with wife, Helen. 



Blogging is like walking.  Once you take that first step, keep walking.  I had no clue what writing was all about when I took my first baby step.  My dad was the writer in the family.  He had the degree in journalism and the passion for writing.  I encouraged him to quit when the rejection letters from publishers kept piling up.  Instead, dad kept walking.  He found a way to publish his first book without the aid of a traditional publisher decades before self publishing was mainstream.  At the time, self publishing was an unknown, expensive option that allowed him to live his dreams.  The day I wrote my first blog I finally understood why my dad was compelled to write every day. 

Here are three tips to help you on your blog writing journey.  Stick to this plan daily and you will fill your blog archives with thousands of messages for readers all over the world.

  1. Be consistent.  Pick a set time each day for blog writing.  I wake up at 5:00AM every morning and write until 8:08AM when my blog story is released.  I'm wide awake and there are no distractions.  By publishing at 8:08AM, Pacific time, readers can tune in just as they do for their favorite TV show.  This consistency builds readership.  Find a time that works for you to write and stick to it.
  2. Be committed. It helps to ask yourself why blogging is important to you.  Keep that vision in your head to remind yourself why you write everyday.  If your vision is to change the world through your daily messages, it won't materialize unless you keep your focus.
  3. Be concerned. When you care about the readers and what their interests are, your concern will show up between the lines of your stories.  Empathy builds connections.  Your writing should be a two-way street.  Interact with readers who comment on your blog.  Keep in touch.  Build bridges.  Say thank you when a reader takes the time to send you a message.



How many blog stories have you written?  How often do you blog?  Why do you blog?  Please add your thoughts in the comment section. 

No comments: