Friday, March 16, 2012

Iowa Speak

I'm wrapping up my first week in Iowa and doing my best to learn the lingo of the locals.  Here's a few things I learned about Iowa speak.

  1. Dinner:  the meal you eat around noon.
  2. Supper:  the meal you eat at the end of the day.
  3. The Black Diamond:  the road connecting Parnell and Iowa City.
  4. The Burg:  Short for Williamsburg, this may be the town we eventually settle in.
  5. If you're visiting Iowa in the Winter, pack your sunscreen and your shorts.
This is only the tip of the iceberg.  Stay tuned for more.  I'm so happy I was able to find my shorts in time for the 85º day in Washington, Iowa.  By the time I took the picture below, the temperature already dropped one degree.  I emailed it to some friends in San Diego because they didn't believe me when I told them how hot it is.  How is the weather in your location?  Do you have any special jargon you use?  Feel free to share your comments below.

Washington, Iowa @ 5pm on Thursday, 3/15.

No comments: