Monday, January 3, 2011

What is Love?

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

In the ebbs and flows of my life, I have discovered some type of rhythm.  Most of the peaks in my life seem to appear in the "odd years."  It was an odd year that I first met my wife (1987).  We married in '89, had our children in '91, '93 and '95, and launched Zoom in '05.  My first book will be birthed in this new year.  It's only appropriate that this blog will reach it's highest mountaintop with it's theme, LOVE, the strongest of all human emotions.

Jesus commands us to love one another as we love ourselves.  Some of us don't even love ourselves.  Maybe we didn't feel loved when we were growing up?  Maybe we were picked on in school because we were different from the in crowd?

I must confess to you that I don't have all the answers in the love department.  It's safe to say that I didn't really come to know love until May, 1987, when I first asked a young, blue-eyed little lady to dance with me.  It was the first time I saw fireworks in the sky that was once void of such brilliant colors.

I experienced love in another way when I watched the tears streaming down from my father's eyes the day we reunited after years apart.  He always had love in his heart, although it was difficult for him to express it in words.  His tears expressed his love in a way that words can't describe.

In all of time, there is no greater example of love than the love of God the Father and His Son, Jesus.  Can you even imagine sacrificing one of your own children so that a stranger can have salvation?  Would you do it?  That's how much you are loved.  You are significant.  You are special.  Yes.  You are deeply loved.  Your presence in the world has given my life meaning.  Every day I will write with you in mind.  I will continue to share my life with you, the peaks and the valleys.  May you discover the FULL meaning of love.  I love you.

No comments: