Sunday, November 19, 2023

Pickleball on the Road

 Things don't always go according to plan.  My day off yesterday started out hopeful.  There were a couple of tennis drill sessions going on at a local tennis club with beautiful indoor courts.  Nonmembers can opt in by calling one hour in advance.  The 8am session was sold out.  Knowing my odds of getting a call back at number three on the waiting list were slim, I headed to another indoor facility nearby.  Nada.  I was referred to a community center and signed up for a one day pass hoping to meet others playing pickleball.  Zilch.  No pickleball due to high demand for indoor basketball.  I asked for a refund and drove off.  It looked like my lucky streak was over.   

My last option was Meadowlark park located 1.1 miles from my hotel where I'm staying on a day job assignment.  Four men were playing.  They reminded me of the men I play tennis with in Iowa.  They were communicating well and covering the pickleball court like champions.  The sun was shining and there were no winds making it the perfect day to play outside.

One of the players needed to leave.  I asked if I could join the three remaining players.  Much to my surprise, the player I teamed up with is one of the tennis pros from the facility I visited earlier.  He teaches tennis and pickleball.  Three hours later I was still playing.  Other players joined the fun and the courts were soon filled to capacity.  This day turned out to be one of my best days ever.

Before any of my tennis teammates get mad, don't worry.  I'm not giving up on tennis.  This day was a cross training opportunity.  I believe advanced pickleball can be a strenuous workout.  Special thanks to the men who welcomed me onto the courts yesterday.  I believe I got a great introduction to high level pickleball.  Thank you!  Have a great day.


No comments: