Sunday, November 12, 2023

Have You Ever Heard Angels Sing?

One of the last messages my dad penned before he left the planet was an email to his twin brother describing his declining health...

It's not over until the fat lady sings but I think I hear her humming a few bars.

While it may be unknown if angels really sing or if they exist, I do know one thing for sure...the two young children who led us at our house of worship I visited yesterday are heaven sent.  They had my heart even before they sang their first note.

These young girls were so tiny that one of them needed a step stool to be able to see over the podium.  She stretched her arms to barely reach the microphone and move it to it's lowest setting.  At first I wasn't sure if the smallest was a boy or girl because this tiny angel was bald.  Her dress was mostly covered up by the oversized pulpit.

The first music was an antiphon sung in latin.  It was pitch perfect.  My heart longed to hear more.  I could have listened to these children all night.  During communion, the tiniest of the two stepped down in order to receive the body of Christ.  I would have guessed her to be the youngest of the two because the other singer was nearly a foot taller but the taller one was not yet old enough to receive communion.

The message of the service was to always be ready because we don't know when we will meet Jesus.  Something in my gut told me this little angel with the bald head may be at the front of the line.  Yep, the fat lady may already be singing.  Get your hanky out, dad.  You're gonna need it when this angel joins the heavenly choir.  Have a great day.

Editor's note:  I promised a teammate I would be praying for her granddaughter who has been in critical condition for several days on my way to my house of worship.  If singing is twice praying, I believe God was listening to every prayer request.


No comments: