Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Food Journey Takes On South American Flavor

 While it's no surprise my DNA test revealed ancestral roots in the expected regions, like Ireland, what did surprise me was how far south in the Americas my ancestors once lived.  I never would have considered Peru as a possibility.  We all know how much we love all things sweet, right?  I go out of my way to keep sweet things out of my house.  Remember the slogan from Lay's Potato Chips?...  "so light, so thin, so crisp, you can eat a million of them, but nobody can eat just one."

Yes, I love all things sugary.  When it comes to chocolate, the label might as well be marked with a warning... "nobody can eat just one."  I wonder how my Peruvian ancestors quenched their appetite for sweet things.  Perhaps they discovered the stevia leaf, something that is 200 to 250 times sweeter than sugar.  

My curiosity for eating the right foods at the right time in order to maximize my health and longevity brought me to something I'm trying beginning today and it happens to have an ingredient in it that comes from the stevia plant found in South America.  I'm not taking this product because of its sweetness, I'm taking it to maintain the proper levels of electrolytes in my body.  Credit for this discovery goes to the tennis pro I met while playing pickup pickle ball last week in Carmel, Indiana.  Thank you, Brian Cook.  

It turns out that my new friend, Brian, is on a similar food journey.  In fact, Brian eats more red meat than I do.  We will be comparing notes in the future.  I'm going to send him a link to today's story to let him know the product he takes daily will soon be a permanent part of my lifestyle.  Check it out for yourself if you're concerned about keeping your body properly hydrated.  Please consult your physician as this story is for information purposes only and your doctor is the best contact when making changes in your life.  If your doctor clears you, click here for Redmond Re-Lyte.  Have a great day.

No comments: