Sunday, June 11, 2023

Men's 4.0 40+ Team Captures Iowa League State Title

 


Who do you spend your free time with?  Have you ever heard about how you become an average of the five closest people you hang out with?  There are studies that reveal this goes beyond your five closest friends.  It even extends to friends of friends.  That's why I'm excited to share something about the people I spend my free time with.  These guys are champions.  At the center of all of this is our captain, Jim Sichterman, the captain of three different teams I play on.  Jim is relentless.  He volunteers as a high school tennis coach when he's not busy coaching all of us which means the next generation of players is in good hands.

The match, like many of our matches throughout the year, came down to the wire.  We needed our number three doubles team to win in a manner unlike three other matches of the day that ended in thriller super tiebreakers.  These guys knew that in order to capture the state bragging rights they had to be decisive in their victory.  Well guys, congratulations.  Great win.  Although I'm not eligible for the next round of play in the men's 40+ sectional tournament, I do hope to join you for the 18+ regional play should we duplicate the outcome later this month.  

In case you're wondering who happens to be in my circle of friends, here you go.  Besides team captain, Jim, my teammates are doctors, teachers, a college professor from Australia, a pilot, a retired bank CEO, and our newest addition, Wahyu (from Indonesia), who made a special trip to my day job to share the good news of our victory.  The championship was in Wahyu's and David's hands and they piloted the win.  Way to go, guys.  We are not only teammates, we are friends.  Have a great day.


No comments: