Sunday, June 18, 2023

Dear Dad (In Heaven)

 Dear Dad,

It's been 21 years since you said good-bye.  Seems like yesterday.  Sometimes it stings, like today.  Sure, there are those happy times, like when I fire up the Weber you gave me and remember how you barbecued like no other.  I thought of you most while in Ireland for ten days last year.  Our bishop said it best when he described how the veil between Heaven and earth is thin at times, especially in places like Ireland.  On this Father's day I wish that veil could be a wee bit thinner and that I could deliver this message in person.  Since that's impossible this letter will be all I can do.

Dad, thanks for being my dad.  Thanks for all the sacrifices you made.  Thanks for coming back to us one last time before going to be with Jesus.  This morning I listened to some songs you had on your juke box at Mulligans to reflect on those times you were still with us.  The Piano Man.  Me and Bobby McGee.  And then it hit me hard when I watched Sammy Davis, Jr. perform one of your favorites, Mr. Bojangles, on YouTube.  How cool it must be to be surrounded with Sammy, your mom, dad, siblings, and long-time friends.  

Dad, if you're allowed to peer through that veil today and see us, you can see the ripples of all your earthly actions.  Life was not easy for us.  God never promised us easy.  What he did promise is that he is always with us.  You may not be here today on Father's day but memories of you live on.  I just want to say thanks for bringing me and my siblings into this world.  I'm sharing this letter with my friends.  Many have dads in Heaven, like newcomers, John and Tom Mulligan, your brothers.  God bless the families who have dads residing in Heaven.  Happy Father's Day, dad.  

Love,

Michael



No comments: