Friday, June 30, 2023

Do You Have a Sugar Addiction?

 I listened to a podcast yesterday and the doctor who was being questioned talked about a subject that spiked my interest – addiction.  Here are some facts he stated:

  1. Many people exposed to cocaine or heroin for five days in a row become addicted.
  2. When people are exposed to alcohol for five days, 20% become addicted.
  3. Sugar exposure for five consecutive days results in a 20% chance of addiction.
  4. Nicotine exposure for five consecutive days results in a 50% addiction rate.
I don't know if the percentages are accurate.  What I do know is I'm someone who clearly has issues with sugar.  I broke my sugar addiction recently but it was nearly impossible.  It was actually a spiritual motivation that helped me break free from the bondages of sugar.  Coincidentally (or Godincidentally), I saw my primary care physician on day one of my sugar abandonment in his house of worship located close to the hospital where he runs his practice.  It was one of those important days on our church calendar that happens to be a required day for believers although not a weekend service.  My doctor had no clue what I was undertaking until I showed up for a long overdue physical and told him how I broke my perceived addiction to sugar.

If you are having sugar challenges, I understand how you feel.  Your choice to break the addiction won't be easy.  It may be nearly impossible.  Ask any addict who is in recovery and they may say the same thing.  If you can admit the problem, you are on the first step and I applaud you.  My prayers are with you.  Have a great day.

No comments: