Monday, April 10, 2023

Success Story from My Mother

 If our lives are divided into four quadrants and we make it to age 100, odds are that each quarter has important lessons to teach.  I reached "half-time" nearly 13 years ago.  There were some highs and there were some lows.  I entered the locker room at half time with my head low and my self-esteem challenged.  That's when my mother revealed her gift for lifting others up and I was the prime beneficiary.  Mom spoke from her heart.  She shared her highs and her lows.  She found herself in the same situation as she entered her own half time and she had no one to guide her.  Mom came out of the locker room and showed the world her true colors.  Mom's story inspired me and I turned my life around.  

I'm thankful my mother visited my wife and me for thirty days in Iowa.  This morning she gave me permission to share something that I consider remarkable about her vacation.  We had a chat on day one about the books I'm writing and mom seemed very interested to learn more about my food research.  Her first objection had to do with past failures when it came to losing weight.  "I never weigh more than a pound or two from my current weight,"  she said.  Mom's half-time talk was still in my head and maybe that's where I found the inspiration to share my food research.  Like me, my mother enjoys participating in experiments.  Her doctors monitor her when she tests new medicines for treating diabetes.

I asked mom to keep a food journal during her stay and to record daily weigh-ins.  Just like life, there were ups and downs.  The ups showed her which foods are no bueno and the downs helped her understand what was working.  This morning I got a text message at 3:15 AM from mom.  She hit her goal of losing ten pounds and she did it in 31 days.  She also increased her walking from 1/10 of a mile to 7/10 of a mile while visiting.  If you want to know what my mom did to shed those pounds, ask her.  Her doctor will probably be asking the same question.  I have a feeling in my gut that her doctor may discover a diminished need for insulin and I won't be shocked if her diabetes is reversed.  

Thank you, mom, for giving me permission to share your success story with my readers.  You are my hero.   Have a great day.

No comments: