Saturday, July 15, 2023

Celebrating 34 Years of Marriage Today

 Ask anyone who has been married a long time for tips and you will get consistent answers.  It's easy to blame the other when a marriage fails.  It's more challenging to look in the mirror.  In honor of my bride of thirty-four years who has prayed for me daily to be a better spouse, I'm sharing some thoughts today about marriage.

In my opinion, marriage is a radical re-orientation of your life as it was prior to entering new life. It's more profound than a caterpillar who becomes a butterfly.  In my faith, marriage is so sacred that we believe our Creator assigns an angel who watches over us throughout every moment of our new lives together.  I never heard of this special angel until earlier this year.  Wow!  An angel who watches over the two of us every moment of our lives.  Why?  Maybe because when marriage is done according to God's will, we are a reflection of God.  Two separate people become one.  We bring new life into the world when we procreate.  We honor God.

Is marriage easy?  In my opinion, it really does require a radical re-orientation away from self and toward your mate.  It's not about easy or hard; it's about a life-time of serving.  My re-orientation was a slow process.  I made mistakes.  I was selfish.  I didn't understand the concept of "guarding the garden and keeping the snakes out."  Adam blew this with Eve.  Eve made mistakes too but her faults were tied to Adam's failures.  

Happy anniversary, my love.  Thank you for being my bride of thirty-four years.  Those who know us well may claim we have seen it all.  I believe in my heart there is much more to come.  I will do my best to guard our garden and keep the snakes out.  You first kissed me when I was a frog.  Thank you for making me your prince.  Have a great day.

No comments: