Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Thanks for the Birthday Wishes

 


"Don't worry about the score," my doubles partner urged.  It was 8am in the morning on the 4th of July and I found myself in one of my favorite settings, the tennis courts where I have been learning the game for the last 49 years of my life.  Our team studies the game like no other team I'm aware of.  Video feedback.  Video analysis by one of the foremost YouTube coaches in the country.  Cross training.  Relentless practice sessions.  Why would someone as old me (63 as of the 4th of July) want to be competing with opponents who are one third my age?  The answer is found in my circle of tennis friends who are like a second family to me.  I want to maximize my life and so do every single one of these men who place a premium on excellence.

It may seem counter-intuitive to ignore the score, right?  Isn't tennis about winning?  My team-mate, Steve, cautioned that focusing on the score of today's game inhibits growth because it promotes caution.  When tennis is played at its highest levels, it's about risk.  It's about going for it.  It's about seizing the net and dominating.  Focusing on the score can hold one back.  In my opinion, the sky is the limit for this team.  Next stop is St. Louis for the sectionals.  7 teams will go home.  Only one will advance to the national championships.  Put the team from Iowa on your watch list.  By the way, I want to thank my friends and family for the birthday wishes.  The photo here is from our new deck.  Our next door neighbors from the rec center to the south of us treated us to an amazing fireworks display perfectly choreographed between the gap in our trees separating the two properties.  We had the best seats in the house.  Have a great day.

No comments: