Thursday, July 20, 2023

Ragbrai Next Week

 The state of Iowa will be inundated with approximately 75,000 cyclists next week.  I will be one of them.  Although I'm only riding for part of the week, I feel like I'm going to get a full experience I will never forget.  Most of these riders will be carb loading before and during the ride.  I won't.  I'm testing my caveman food program when I push my 63yr-old body to it's upper limits.  I'm embracing canned sardines, electrolytes, and all foods high in fat content while avoiding processed foods and sugar.  There won't be any time to rest as our Men's 18+ tennis team is heading to St. Louis the following week for the next round of regional competition.  For me it will be a repeat of the Ragbrai food experiment...no carbs, no sugar, nothing with ingredients on the label, and food choices that are fat heavy.

For those who pay attention to stats, my blood pressure reading came in at near record lows yesterday.  I'm ecstatic to report 123/78 which is spot on for my age.  It was off-the-chart readings that inspired me to change my ways and I'm thankful for those who helped me get my health back.  I will be sharing stories while on the road the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned.  Have a great day.

No comments: