Wednesday, January 26, 2022

It's Not Too Late

 Two important milestones were reached today on day 26 of the new year.  For me, it's also day 26 of BIAY (Bible in a Year).  I've been listening to a podcast narrated by a youth pastor I met during one of my day job travels to Duluth, Minnesota.  It was a double blessing for me because my wife flew to Duluth for the weekend and joined me at the Cathedral where Fr. Mike celebrates Mass with his college students.  One of my day job teammates also joined us for the service in Duluth.  I had no idea how much this pastor gives to the world with his podcasts.  What I did know was how much he helped my mother get closer to Jesus through his YouTube presentations.  If it weren't for my mother, I wouldn't be experiencing all the graces that come with spending time in the Bible.

I don't know what percentage of the population has actually read the Bible cover to cover.  There are places in the world where you can be killed if you're caught reading Scripture.  What I do know is the New Testament is much easier to follow because Jesus shows up and makes everything easier to understand.  Well, the Old Testament comes first and that's where many give up because it's complicated.  The Evil One likes complicated because it can lead to giving up.  In fact, the Evil One is also a champion of confusion.  He is always lurking, waiting for us to stumble.  We usually blow it by the third chapter, Leviticus.  I'm not there yet but I already know that I'm going to keep going no matter how many times I blow it.  Why?  Because these Bible podcasts I'm listening to come with an added bonus – commentary by Fr. Mike Schmitz.  I'm feeling really good right now because I just finished listening to Genesis and the last chapter of Job, one of the longest books of the Bible.  Both of these stories are rather disturbing.  That's okay with me.  God reveals himself in these stories and he calms the turbulence in my head.

The world is sick.  The Evil One is at every turn waiting for us to make a bad move.  He can't wait to pounce on us.  Well, if Job can stay faithful, I'm going to follow his example.  I'm also going to keep going with this Bible in a Year program that is available to anyone who wants to get some hope in a broken world.  It's not too late.  I would love to be your accountability partner.  We don't even need to be on the same page.  You can start on day 1 today and be done by this same day in January one year from today.  This is not a race.  This is an opportunity.  I'm thankful my pastor at my house of worship joined the party.  He heard about some people in his congregation who are doing this and decided to check it out.  Some believers in my church are repeating this Bible study for a second time.  Click here for the link and give this a try for the next thirty days.  If it helps you get closer to God, keep going.  What do you have to lose?  Have a great day.

No comments: