Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Can You Be a Better Person in Twelve Months?

I know people who have written off the last two years of their lives due to the pandemic.  They cancelled travel plans.  They locked themselves up in their homes.  Why?  In my opinion, the fear of dying exceeded the fear of living in dangerous times.  Living in isolation is dangerous.  We need each other to thrive.  If history should repeat itself, perhaps this year will be the end of Covid-19.  If this is true, do you believe today is a good day to begin preparations for a better life without interference from the pandemic?  If so, do you believe you can be a better person in twelve months?

I have been using the last three years of my life as a time to improve my habits.  It's not easy.  One of the best lessons I'm learning about forming new habits is something called habit stacking.  This is where you stack a new habit on top of another habit that is solidly in place.  In my case, it's a "triple stack."  I stacked guided meditations on top of my daily writing, a 4,500+ daily habit, to make this habit permanent.  On January 1, I stacked my newest habit, listening to the Bible daily on a podcast.  Experts say that it takes thirty days to make a habit permanent.  I'm still in the danger zone so I'm proceeding with caution during the first month of the year.  My hope is that all these daily habits I'm doing will make me a better person.  The final question I plan on asking myself at the end of my life is related to today's question about becoming a better person.  Here it is:  "Did I finally become the person God created me to be?"  Take it a day at a time.  Work on habits that will help you improve.  Have a great day.

No comments: