Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Is Your Life in Danger Because of the Foods You Eat?


In my opinion, food addiction may be perhaps the most difficult addiction to break free of.  I believe this because we need to eat to live.  It's impossible to stop eating.  We know what to do in the case of drugs, nicotine, gambling and other addictions – stop.  Most people don't understand how our food supply has been manipulated in order to cause cravings that are nearly unquenchable.  Don't believe me?  Look around.  Food addiction is impossible to cover up.  It shows up in our waistline.  Premature death is the only way some will end their addiction because they aren't even aware they have a problem.

If you find yourself in a situation where you will go out of your way to satisfy a food craving or if you can't stop eating when you're full, you may be in the danger zone.  Your body's natural on/off switches may be broken – just like the heroin addict who can't stop.  The road to recovery won't be easy.  In my situation, I really didn't know I was addicted to certain foods until I gave them up for 45 days during my food experiment over nine months ago.  My weight loss was extraordinary – 35 pounds, mostly body fat.  The most satisfying experience for me was the loss of hunger between meals.  I remember always craving food.  I reached for ice cream at the end of the night, even after a large meal.  Snacking was the only way to satisfy my constant hunger.  Once I stopped eating the foods I was addicted to and concentrated on fruits, veggies, nuts, beans and seeds, my body's on/off switches returned to normal. 

The first step to ending food addiction is to admit you have a problem.  Ask yourself, "is my life in danger because of the foods I eat?"  If you're not sure, ask your doctor.  And if you are willing to go through 45 days of hell to break free of your food addiction, stay away from processed foods or anything with a label.  You may suffer withdrawals.  It won't be easy.  Your friends will tempt you.  Reach out to me if you need someone who understands what you're going through.  You can do this.  Have a great day.

No comments: