Saturday, June 4, 2016

Food Lessons from a Pro

(Photo: SAEED KHAN, AFP/Getty Images)
Novak Djokovic probably prefers his competitors remain in the dark about his food program.  Why?  Because his ways give him a huge advantage over all his opponents.  The truth is, Djokovic was one of the sickest athletes on the tour until he stumbled upon the keys to nutrition.  Novak is in the finals of the French Open this morning.  I won't be watching live because I'm on the courts with my team-mates in preparation for our playoff match three weeks from today but I'll be recording both the singles and doubles finals for later viewing because I want to find ways to improve my game and these guys are the best in the world.

One of the things I admire most about Novak is his commitment to healthy eating.  He prefers his opponents remain in the dark about his food nutrition because this gives him a huge advantage and most people, even top athletes, have no clue how much influence foods have in our lives.  Those closest to Novak are required to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to keep his winning ways out of his opponent's playbook but I'm a food detective and I found a couple of morsels for my readers to devour.  Here's how Novak gains the upper hand against his opponents:

  • No processed foods
  • No dairy
  • No gluten
  • Berries and nuts for breakfast
  • No more than one beer to celebrate a tournament win
I have a feeling Novak will be savoring a beer today after capturing his first-ever French Open win.  I'll keep my beer on ice until three weeks from today.  There's plenty of training ahead and healthy meals to prepare before the old men from eastern Iowa take on their younger opponents.  We need all the help we can get and I'm on Novak's side of the court when it comes to eating like a pro.  Have a great day.

No comments: