Sunday, November 30, 2014

What Advent Means to Me


Today marks the beginning of a new year on the Christian calendar.  Advent, which includes the four Sundays leading up to Christmas, is known as a time of joyful preparation.  This particular season is extra special because our family calendar is in alignment with our Advent calendar.  Five weeks from today our youngest son will leave home and begin his new life in the army.  He's been preparing for this moment his whole life.  He's not alone.  The military sponsors the future soldiers program which is designed to help young men and woman prepare for boot camp.

I found a Bible verse that best describes what Advent is all about:  Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans ~ Proverbs 16:3.  If you're not feeling joy today, take a look at your calendar and your priorities.  Ask yourself, is this what God wants me to be doing today?  Is God first in my life?  Is the reason I'm not feeling any joy today because I'm trying to control events and people rather than surrendering to God's plan for my life?

There's a reason Advent covers four weeks.  It's not easy to answer all these questions.  It's not easy to prepare when the world wants to suck you into the shopping malls so you can buy bigger televisions and more stuff that you really don't need.  I need every day of these next four weeks to get myself in alignment with God's plans for me and my family.  Advent really isn't about the future; it's about today.  How about you?  What does Advent mean to you?  If you've never celebrated or stopped celebrating, give Advent a try.  Ask Jesus to be your Commander-in-chief.  No boot camp is necessary.  Let Jesus lead you through troubled waters.  Today is a great day to be joyful.

No comments: