Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Life's Speed Bumps


A few weeks ago, one of my buddies at my day job shared his story about an early morning commute.  He was traveling east on Interstate 80 at 75 mph in heavy fog when he hit a deer, shot up into the air, landed and spun a couple of times before stopping in a ditch, narrowly missing an oncoming semi.  Miraculously, he and his Honda were unharmed.  He drove to work and inspected his vehicle.  With the exception of some blood spatters, there were no visible signs he hit the deer.

My head was spinning.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  My buddy was describing a chapter I wrote months earlier for my novel, The Caveman in the Mirror.  My main character, Thomas Morgan, hit a deer on the same interstate, driving in the same direction in the same vehicle.  While Thomas didn't fly through the air like my buddy, he did end up in a ditch.  Thomas did not fare so well.  He had to be life-flighted to the hospital and both his legs were amputated.

Mother Nature is sending me some new speed bumps this time of year.  They are to remind me to slow down, beware of dangerous road conditions, and focus attention on my novel in my home where I'm safe from Mother Nature.  I'm spending most of my free time writing in my basement.  My best advice to you is to pay attention to life's speed bumps.  Slow down.  Be cautious of the hazards.  And if you're looking for something to read, my book will be done by the time the snow melts in March.  Have a great day.

No comments: