Thursday, November 6, 2014

Risk vs. Reward


Every choice you make has a risk/reward.  So does every choice you avoid or decide not to make.  Choose wisely.  Evaluate past decisions.  Don't be afraid.  Fear changes the equation.  It blinds you to the rewards.  It overemphasizes the risks.

The most important choice I make every morning is about love.  Loving my wife is easy.  Loving my adult children is easy.  But the choice to love my enemies is difficult.  The reward for loving them is peace of mind.  I understand the risk of not following Jesus when He says, "love your enemies."  Hatred is a sack of rocks strapped to your back.  I choose not to carry that sack or drag it behind me.  That's the only way I can keep up with Jesus when he says, "follow me."  I don't ever want to lose sight of Jesus because the grudges I'm grasping are weighing me down and I can't keep up.  Who cares if your enemies attack?  Remember what the risk of not loving them is verses the rewards of loving them.  It's summarized in this verse:  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. ~ Matthew 5:12

No comments: