Saturday, November 1, 2014

How Do You Make Others Feel?


November is here.  It's a time of reflection about the year as it draws to a close.  I count my blessings daily.  My family and friends are at the top of the list.  The measuring stick I rely on most to evaluate my relationships is this question:  How do I make others feel?  The question focuses not on my personal accomplishments or my own opinions about my abilities, but rather what others perceive about our relationship.  There's a line between confidence and arrogance.  The confident person isn't afraid to ask himself or herself how others feel when they interact.  The arrogant person doesn't care.

If you're struggling with your relationships or you have trouble inspiring others, ask yourself if you crossed the line in the sand and started caring about yourself more than you care about the people around you.  Ask yourself if you see through the person in front of you because someone more important stands in the distance.  Ask yourself if the person you just talked with feels better or worse because of what you said.

It's not too late to improve your relationships.  There are still sixty-one days remaining in the year.  Ask more questions when you're in a discussion.  Put the spotlight on others.  Develop better listening skills.  Show the people around you that you care about them.  They will never care about what you know unless they know you care.  That's the difference between confidence and arrogance.  Make this a November to remember.  Put your friends and family at the top of your list of blessings.  If you're reading this, you're already on the top of my list.  Happy November.

No comments: