Friday, October 31, 2014

You Can Hang a Star on Those Two


These are two of my favorite friends, Elliott and Patti Fox, from Southern California.  Elliott was my honorary tennis captain for two championship tennis teams I played on.  We also teamed up together for numerous socials and events, like the first Ramona author talk I hosted for local writers in my community.

Elliott was the guest of honor at last weekend's tennis social.  "You were in a lot of the pictures, Mike," Elliott recounted during our phone conversation yesterday.  I know you were with us in spirit."

I asked Elliott to introduce me when I launched my first book at the author talk.  His wife sat in the audience, proudly listening to her husband speaking from the podium.  The couple have a rare twinkle in their eyes that never fades as the years pass.

I could hear the excitement in Elliott's voice when I told him our youngest son is joining the army.  "I'd go back in there right now if they'd let me," the ex-master sergeant who served in WWII said.  "Don't worry," I said.  "My son will follow in your footsteps."

Every morning when Elliott and Patti wake up, they celebrate life.  They are my heroes.  Yes, you can hang a star on those two.  Even though I'm far away now, I will always hold these two close in my heart.  The world is a better place because of people like the Foxes.

No comments: