Thursday, October 23, 2014

Breaking the Denomination Barrier

In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams ~ Act 2:17


I don't wear designer labels.  God's people were never meant to be divided and conquered.  That's what I see every time I drive through a new town.  It's like the Hatfields and the McCoys all over again, generation after generation.  One side worships on one side of the street and another on the other side.  My calling extends beyond the people who gather in brick and mortar buildings every Sunday to worship.  The One I follow says he will leave the other ninety-nine to find the one who is lost.  If Jesus had been around during World War II, he would have been wearing a cloth badge with a star of David and the word Jude (German for Jew) inscribed on the label.

I go directly to the source for my outer wear, just like the man possessed by multiple demons who had nothing on but a birthday suit and some broken chains on his wrists when he met Jesus.  Luke describes how Jesus cast out the demons and gave the wanderer a new garment and a pair of sandals.  The man published all the good Jesus had done for him.  The meaning of the word publish has changed over the last 2,000 years and multiple "branches" or "labels" have sprung up.  The message is the same, no matter what label we wear – Go, and share the Good News.  "Preach the Gospel at all times and use words if necessary," said the man in the friar suit who eschewed his father's rich garments.

God's spirit is in all people.  Our young sons and daughters prophesy.  Our young men see visions.  And old people like me dream dreams.  My dream is for the lost to find their way home.  May Jesus give each of them a new garment to wear.  Man's labels aren't important.  We are all a reflection of the Designer's label.  Nothing can separate us from God's love.  I'm just glad he loves everyone, including the streakers.

No comments: