Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Blind Choice


My wife and I were invited to our first Iowa fund raiser last night.  We jumped at the chance to have a date night together.  The group is similar to one we supported while we resided in California.   We met a young man in the hallway and struck up a conversation.  After we checked in, we searched for our table and sat down.  Landon noticed us sitting all alone and asked if he could join us.  Landon talked about why he was at the fundraiser and wanted to know about our connection to the group.  We told him the other men from our town had a scheduling conflict and asked us to fill in at the last minute.  Our evening was another one of those "God-incidences" that keep showing up in my life. The lights dimmed and a video played on the screen.  Landon whispered, "my company made that."

The keynote speaker shared about a blind choice she made during her pregnancy.  Her doctor told Gail, "if you keep this baby, you'll go blind.  Abort it and you will keep your vision.  The choice is yours."  Gail felt all alone when her doctor disagreed with her decision and walked out on her.  Gail knew in her heart keeping the baby was the right thing to do.

The blog story I penned when I woke up at the beginning of the day flashed back into my head when I picked up a copy of Seeing Beyond, by Gail McWilliams.  Her forward was written by Zig Ziglar, the man who inspired my morning blog messageGod-incidence, I thought to myself.  Landon handed me his business card and said, "Send me a link to your blog, I want to connect."

There are no coincidences in the Kingdom.  What are the odds I would be dining with one of God's marketers who came from a publishing background similar to mine?  What are the odds I would connect with some really special people, including Bob who attends my church?  I met Bob's wife on the tennis courts.  I met Bob's cousin and business partner at my day job.  Bob's cousin once worked in Phoenix where I grew up and for the same company I work for now.  Bob is on the board of directors for Informed Choices, the company that organized last night's fundraiser.   It was a plethora of God-incidences all stemming from one blind choice I made to attend the fundraiser without knowing anything about what I was getting into.  You could say that God set me up on a blind date.  This is the beginning of a great relationship.  I will write more about this group in future stories.  Have a great day.  Thanks for joining us at our table last night, Landon. 

2 comments:

landon said...

It was a pleasure to meet you guys! I had a great time eating the mystery potatoes.... haha

Michael Mulligan said...

Thanks for joining us, Landon, and for accepting my Fb friend request. BTW, you inspired me to write today's blog story that will post next hour at 8:08, Pacific time. I hope you like it. God bless you and your family as you prepare for your new addition.