Sunday, November 2, 2014

Do You Have Enough Time?


How was that clock reset last night?  My wife shared a tidbit about Fall back and Spring forward this morning when I woke up.  "Heart attacks go up on Spring forward and go down on Fall back," she said, quoting from a news story.  I thought about it for a minute, knowing I had sixty extra minutes on the clock.  I think it's related to our own body rhythms.  I know how I feel when I go to bed too late or cut my sleep cycle short.  What it comes down to is this:  Do I have enough time?  If the answer is yes, it means I'm feeling pretty good about accomplishing everything on my to do list.   Here are some lessons I learned about managing the clock for anyone who feels they don't have enough time...
  1. Don't cheat your sleep or your breaks.  When you sleep too little or skip your breaks, you're increasing your grogginess/grumpiness factor.  In the end, you get less done and you feel worse.  Your heart may even skip a beat because it's not getting enough rest.
  2. Schedule time for fun.  This plays a big role in reducing stress in your life.  Your efficiency rate improves when you play at regular intervals.  The 808 in my name was a reminder I set years ago about my ideal use of time:  Work eighty days and then take eight off.  I'm not there yet but I'm still working on this strategy.
  3. Ask yourself, Is what I'm doing right now the highest and best use of my time?  I love it that you're reading this story right now and I'm not trying to push you away.  In fact, I appreciate you taking the time to be here right now, especially if your my mother who I haven't seen since I moved to Iowa or my cousin who put someone to sleep and has an extra few minutes to check in.  Just make sure you monitor your indulgences so you have enough time to manage your day.
Here's one last fact to consider about time.  Everyone you know has the same amount of it.  Some use it wisely.  Some savor every precious moment.  And if you know someone that tends to waste time, please take an extra minute and send them a link to this blog.  I'll be happy to help your friend out.  Have a great day.

No comments: