Wednesday, April 16, 2014

How to Thrive on Taxing Days


Some would describe my day yesterday as a day from Hell.  I admit, it was taxing.  I started my day writing a post about how I manage my time and maximize my daily routine.  Little did I know my day was about to become one heck of a roller coaster ride.  I placed a call to my internet provider to find out when our home internet would be back up.  "It's been down for three days," I told the rep.  "And I need to file my taxes by midnight.  Can you help me?"  I asked.  He made a couple of calls and tried pushing some buttons.  No luck.  No worries, I thought.  I'll adapt.  Before I left for the library to access the free Wi-fi, I sent some important documents to the printer.  Murphy's law was in play.  Of course – no ink and no spare refills!  My day was turning into a nightmare.

Plan A was now a distant memory.  Plan B was dead on arrival.  I was on plan F for running on fumes.  "There's nothing like waiting to do your taxes until the last minute," the librarian said with an evil grin on her face.  "I'm the first one to file when a refund is due," I replied. "And the last one when I owe."  I sat down and went to work, hoping I could get everything done in time.  The IRS does not make it easy when you're trying to give them money.  Nope.  It's all or nothing on your debit card or all or nothing on your credit card.  They don't have a split payment option for people like me who need to pay using multiple accounts.  I did a quick internet search and found a way to pay my tax bill without having to take out a second mortgage to pay the penalties for missing the tax deadline.

I made it home in time to get all the dishes done before the Mrs. returned from her day at work.  Once again, I'm sitting in my car outside the local library this morning while I type my blog story.  The winds are gusting and the temperatures are in the low 30's.  Murphy is trying to kick my butt with his annoying law – anything that can go wrong will go wrong.  It sure would be nice if he could at least spread things out a little more.  That's okay.  I'm going to keep battling everyday and I'm not going to give up, not ever.  For those of you anticipating a new chapter from my novel on Friday, it has been postponed until 4/25.  Maybe by then, Murphy can go on Spring break and leave me alone for a while so I can get back to my normal routine.  Have a great day.

No comments: