Saturday, April 5, 2014

Are You Ready for a Mindset Makeover?


There is only one person responsible for the life you have – you.  Blaming others may make you feel better about where you are today but it doesn't change anything.  Ask yourself these three questions:
  1. Am I so afraid of making a mistake that I avoid trying new things?
  2. Am I afraid of what others might think if they see me fail?
  3. How do I react when something bad happens in my life?
There was a time in your life when your answers were different than they are today.  If you don't believe me, spend a couple of hours with a baby.  What do they do all day?  Babies don't care how many times they fall down when they're learning to walk.  They don't care if someone is watching them every time they bump their head or make a mistake.  And when they do fall, they get right back up and try a different approach until they can finally run.  Then something happens.  They grow up and become aware of all the people around them.  They start listening to their peers who tell them their dreams are far-fetched or impossible.  And they block themselves off to all the possibilities that exist.

I recommend you give yourself a mindset makeover.  Quit letting your fear of making mistakes block you from trying new things.  Stop worrying about what others think when you fail.  They don't know how far you can go once you're willing to learn how to get back up every time you fall down.  They have no idea how a new mindset can help you deal with difficult situations.

The best example I can give you of my new mindset has to do with the novel I'm writing.  I'm sharing it raw as I'm developing it in front of the whole world.  Most writers I know wouldn't dare share anything unless it was written, re-written, edited, submitted for publication, etc, etc.  They don't want readers to see their work unless it's perfect.  I'm not looking for perfect people to read my books.  I'm just eager to share my gifts with others.  The flaws and imperfections are what make my contributions unique.   Last month I set a new record with over 21,000 page views on this blog.  Readers don't read my stories because I'm perfect, they visit because they can relate to me.  So I don't hold back.  You should do the same.  Decide today you are giving yourself a mindset makeover.  Have a great day.

No comments: