Sunday, January 12, 2014

Why the San Diego Chargers Inspire Me


Today is a big day for football fans.  The winners of today's games only need one more win in order to earn their ticket to the Super Bowl.  A few weeks ago, most people believed the San Diego Chargers were an extreme long shot to even make the playoffs.  And here they are, survivors of wild card weekend.  The Chargers are playing the number one seed today.  The odds are against them.  Win or lose, here are some reasons why this team inspires me:
  1. They refuse to give up.
  2. They make adjustments when plans are working out right.
  3. They support each other.
  4. They listen to their coaches.
  5. They believe in miracles.
  6. They practice, practice, practice.
  7. They don't read the press reports.
  8. They step up their game when the odds are against them.
  9. They understand the best offense is a solid defense.
  10. They learn from their defeats.
Football may only be a game, however, it offers many lessons that can be applied to the game of life.  I admit I've fumbled many times in my own life.  Some of my opponents hit me so hard that I often wondered if I'd ever be able to get back up and get back in the game.  Then I think about my favorite football team.  I recall all the times when they were written off.  I remember how they always let go of the past and move on, no matter how heart-breaking a loss is.  I believe in happy endings.  I believe the underdogs have a reasonable chance of overcoming the odds that are against them.  And win or lose, the San Diego Chargers will always be my favorite team.

Who inspires you?  Do you like to root for the underdogs?  Let me know in the comments section below.

No comments: