The Arctic vortex is sending record low temperatures to my area not seen in one hundred years. We are bundling up for a possible -50º night on Monday when the wind chill is factored in. My California friends are wondering, How do people survive in conditions like this? I have found the people in my new community to be surprisingly resilient. Here are some observations:
- Families invite the homeless into their homes.
- Companies give away free snow removal for people who are suffering major illnesses.
- Life goes on without much complaining.
- Iowans don't let the cold weather freeze up their positive attitudes.
- The canvas of white snow sure adds to the beauty of the hillsides.
- Snow days create opportunities to work on projects that are often ignored when the weather is warmer.