Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Most Intense Game of Chess I've Ever Played


No.  It's not the kind of chess game you play on a board.  The game I'm involved in has to do with a personal matter that is very similar to chess.  My adversary is a three-headed giant most consider so powerful they default after the first move.  I decided early on to learn the rules of the game and play it all the way to check-mate.  The final outcome is not for me to decide.  The good news is that I'm still alive in a fierce game that started last year when my opponent made a bold opening move, blasting hot air from all three of its nostrils that stretched all the way across the board to my castle.  My king survived the initial attack and he's still standing.  I know my role – to protect my queen.  We've faced all kinds of tough opponents during our twenty-four years of marriage – earthquakes, wildfires, blizzards, arctic vortexes, job layoffs, a short sale, and a financial meltdown.  In some ways, I feel like the three men in the BibleShadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, who were tossed into a fiery furnace.  In the end, they came out alive.  If you want to read more about these amazing witnesses, click here.

I will share more about my latest adventure after it's all over.  Before I make my next move, I'm reading the rules of the game from cover to cover.  In order to win, I need to make sure my opponent doesn't use his players improperly.  My king needs to stay active.  And my opponent will be hearing me repeat one word over and over: "check."  I will not stop until one of the kings meets his Maker.  All I need is a worthy affirmative defense, three stones and a slingshot.  Check. 

No comments: