Tuesday, October 1, 2013

It's All About the Seeds You Plant


It's harvest time in the Midwest.  Farmers are working overtime to get their crops to the market.  Their rewards are directly related to the quantity and quality of the seeds they planted in the Spring.  I see many similarities in my own life as a husband, father and writer.  There can be no harvest without planting the seeds and working the fields.  Here are some farming tips to help you increase the yields in your life:
  1. Plant seeds daily.  These are your ideas, your creativity and your dreams.  Deposit them in the fertile soil of your mind.
  2. Water the seeds.  Ideas need attention.  Give them tender loving care so they can grow to maturity.
  3. Keep the weeds out.  They may be criticisms from others who don't understand why you spend so much time tending to your garden.  They don't understand how your crop will feed others.  Don't let them stop you.
  4. Join a co-op.  There are others in the community who are just like you.  Some have been farming all their lives.  Get to know them.  I gained confidence as a writer when I attended regular meetings with my critique group.  My wife belonged to a Mother's group.  Find a group that specializes in your area of interest and you will thrive.
  5. Don't worry about the weather.  Farmers expect some years of bumper crops and other years where Mother Nature fails to cooperate.  The key is to be consistent every year.  Don't give up just because you had a bad season.
I'm committed to my long-term goals.  That means planting one new seed every morning when I wake up.  My time working in the fields yields new Twitter followers, new visitors to my blogs and opportunities to make new friends.  As of today, my Twitter garden includes 942 followers.  I'm hoping to reach 1,000 by the end of this year.  If you like my daily stories, please consider following me on Twitter.  Click here to be a part of the Twitter garden.  And I hope all your future harvests are your best ever.  And if you have time to plant a seed for other readers, please add a comment below.  Thanks for stopping by today.

No comments: