Sunday, October 13, 2013

Why I Like Tailwinds


Stubborn people like headwinds.  They don't care how strong the wind blows in their face.  They have a plan and they're sticking to it.  I can relate.  I fought against the wind for the majority of my life.  The first time I experienced the joys of a strong tailwind was over a year ago when I departed California.  The tailwind stayed with me for 1,800 miles. The extra mile per gallon of gas I got from the tailwind pushing our moving truck made it possible to arrive in Iowa before I ran out of money.

Tomorrow morning I plan to use the tailwind to my advantage one more time in order to complete the challenge my daughter threw down a couple of days ago.  My strategy for completing my 10k morning jog is to have my son drop me off 6.2 miles due west and then run home.  There is no rain in the forecast, the wind will be at my back and the sun will shine warm in my face as I prance through the cornfields.  Most importantly, I believe God will be holding me in the palm of His hand as He does every day, even on days when I insist on fighting against the winds.

It doesn't get much better than this — Autumn leaves.  A gorgeous sunrise.  A pink bandana to keep the sweat off my face and to remind me to pray for all the people battling breast cancer.  A swift tailwind.  And a great Bible verse from Isaiah 40:31 to contemplate during my run tomorrow:

but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.


How about you?  Do you prefer headwinds or tailwinds?  Don't forget to come back tomorrow for a report about my morning run.

No comments: