Monday, October 14, 2013

Mission Accomplished


I woke up just in time this morning to hitch a ride with my wife on her morning commute.  "Please reset your odometer to zero and pull over when it reads 6.2 miles," I said while adjusting my pink bandana I purchased to support breast cancer awareness.  My pockets were stuffed with two miniature water bottles for the run home.

"There's a lot of hills on this road," my wife said.  There was no turning back now.  She dropped me off on top of a hill surrounded by cornfields and I kissed her good-bye.  The outside temperature was a brisk 39º.  The morning sun was showing its face for the first time as I closed the door and headed for home along highway 149.  What began as a challenge from my daughter last week turned into one more adventure to add to my list.  She didn't think I could run a 10k without training first.  I just wish you could have seen the look on her face this morning when I rang the doorbell and she answered.  It was priceless.

While I was running I thought of all the people in my life who are struggling with illness and poor health.  I offered prayers for them as I chugged along the highway.  And I recalled what the prophet Isaiah said in verse 40:31... 


but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.


I don't think Isaiah was a runner.  His words "not grow weary" and "they will walk and not be faint" are true.  He left out one key word:  rubbery.  Yes, my legs are feeling rubbery.  It's a small price to pay for this morning's experience.  My hope is in the Lord and my strength is renewed.  May God answer all my morning prayers for those who need hope.  I promise to wear my pink bandana often to continue my support for breast cancer awareness.  Have a great day. 

No comments: