Friday, August 9, 2013

Do You Know How to Renew Your Mind?



Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. ~ Romans 12:2

The Bible verse above is one of my personal favorites.  I'm drawn to it because I love puzzles.  It offers a way out of the maze for people like me who struggle to find their place in a world filled with chaos.

We all have familiar patterns and routines we follow daily.  We sit in the same place in our houses of worship.  We commute to our jobs by using the same familiar streets.  What happens when our routines become so mundane that we become stagnant?

The best example I can offer you about being transformed comes from my personal life.  Nearly four years ago I sensed I was in a rut.  I was so plugged into this world that my mind was on cruise control.  The only one in the car who noticed was my wife.  She wanted to turn off the cruise control.  My children sided with me.  They liked the familiarity of our surroundings and our daily patterns.  God sent me some speed bumps to get my attention.  I realized it was time for something new.

These last eighteen months have been a test for me.  All my familiar patterns are 1,800 miles away.  Everything is new.  My car doesn't even have a cruise control option.  I don't need it.  I don't even desire it.  The one thing that I feel on the inside is that I'm 1,800 miles closer to God's will.  There aren't any speed bumps where I live.  There is only one traffic light on my twenty-two mile commute to my day job.  I feel transformed.  My mind is wide awake and alert. 

How about you?  Do you know how to renew your mind?  Are you able to test and approve what God's will is?  Please share your answers in the comments section below.

No comments: