Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Word of the Day: Inscrutable

Inscrutable:  Impossible to understand or interpret; impenetrable; mysterious.

Words are the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal.  They are the link that bond the reader to the writer.  My daily quest to find one choice morsel every day yields abundant treasures.  The word inscrutable pierces my heart like a silver bullet.  I'm mesmerized by it.  It's the perfect word to describe one of the main characters in my novel.  It's also one of the few words in my vocabulary that offer some kind of glimpse into the Holy Trinity -- The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Jesus left behind clues that are like a trail of bread crumbs. Each is a fragment from a world we cannot see.  He spoke in parables.  Everything he said is layered in mystery.  Here are some examples:
  • Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? ~ John 14:9.
  •  The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. ~ Matthew 13:44
  • Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. ~ Matthew 7:7
  • For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man, which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. ~ 1 Corinthians 2:11
  • To hang on to your life is to lose it. To let go of your life is to save it. – John 12:25
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me. – John 14:6
  • All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. ~ Matthew 11:27
Have you discovered any new words lately that inspire you?  Please share in the comments section below.

No comments: