Hi, my name is Michael and I'm addicted to social media. It's been 144 days since I entered recovery. My new employer assists me by restricting all cell phone usage during work. There are no outside internet connections except for approved company sites. These rules are necessary to make sure all employees are focused while on the job. My rant about social media has to do with my personal time since this is the only time I'm on my Facebook page. Here are some changes I'm implementing to help me with my recovery:
- Admit publicly I have a problem.
- Avoid sharing my personal political or religious views on social media sites.
- Ask my social media friends to refrain from sending me invitations to play games or join causes.
- Limit my Facebook time to ten minutes per day. This time is for viewing pictures from loved ones and sending birthday wishes or other notes of encouragement.
- Set up a spreadsheet and track my daily minutes on social media sites. 70 minutes per week is my maximum. If I cannot maintain self-control, I will take a Facebook timeout for 30 days. If that doesn't work, I will terminate my account.