Thursday, December 1, 2011

My First Acting Gig

The other day, my mother told me about a reunion she had with ladies from her woman's church group.  "Some of the ladies in my group read your blog," she told me.

I'm thankful for the support you give me.  Some of you were around when I played Ebenezer Scrooge at MHT.  It was a seventh grade play based on Charles Dickens novel, A Christmas Carol.  The lead actor dropped out just before the play was to be staged.  I got picked to stand in, the lone sixth grader.  I did my best to memorize the script but got lost a few times and the lines were whispered in from the side stage.  This was one of the best experiences from my childhood.

Nearly forty years after my first acting gig, I see an uncanny link between Scrooge and the naked caveman.  Scrooge was visited by the ghost of Christmas past, the ghost of Christmas present, and the ghost of Christmas yet to come.  The naked caveman in the Bible, also known as the man possessed by demons, was visited by the One who has power over all demons.  Both characters were never the same after their encounters.


My heart skipped a beat when Mrs. Eerie asked me to play Scrooge.  It almost stopped when the Holy Spirit showed me I was God's pick to play the naked caveman.  Like Scrooge, my past, present and future were revealed when I perused the Script for the first time.  There is no acting involved here as my life is a mirror-image of the first caveman who met Jesus 2,000 years ago.

All of us have a script to follow, a destiny.  My role is to set the stage for the Christmas yet to come.  The first caveman played his part well.  When Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed him, for they were all expecting him.  My role is to gather a crowd for the grand finale...it's a tough act to follow, but a role I was born to play.  You can read all about it in The Caveman in the Mirror.  This time, I'm not going to forget my lines.   May the Spirit of Christmas be with you always.

No comments: