Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Other Side of the Fence

China has the Great Wall.  Germany once had it's wall.  And my elementary school had a fence.  Whether these barriers are designed to keep people out or in, they separate people. China and Germany had guns to guard the walls.  At our elementary school, we had grapefruit on our side of the fence and several of my classmates hurled these yellow bombs at anyone who caused a stir on the other side.

Jesus doesn't like fences.  It doesn't matter if it's as small as throwing grapefruit or as big as thermo-nuclear  war, there is a simple reason why people build walls.  In my life, I built a wall around myself and my family to protect them from a world filled with hatred, prejudice and jealousy.  Isolation is another form of fence building.  The problem with isolation is that it prevents people from coming together to build bridges.

I'm free now.  I'm on the other side of the fence.  This freedom gives me the opportunity to see the world from a new vantage point.  I understand how powerful love is, especially when we choose to love our enemies on the other side of the fence.

The fence dividing believers and non-believers is the most challenging one to knock down.  One side argues that as man increases his understanding of science, God becomes smaller.  They search for the smoking gun they call the "God particle."  What about the "God Particle" placed in a manger 2,000 years ago?  The demons know all about Him.  They know where He came from and they are certain He is coming back.  When He returns, they will be forced to the other side of the fence for eternity.  Not because God hates them, but because the other side rejected Him.

I do believe there is a God particle.  It rests inside our souls.  It inspires us to break down our walls and live our lives on the other side of the fence.  Our job is to help the world find the God particle.  When they see how we love our enemies they will finally discover the God particle they are searching for.  All we have to do is make a choice to live in peace on the other side of the fence.


No comments: