Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cleared for Launch

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” ~ Isaiah 55:8-9

With the precision of NASA scientists, my Christian writers critique group is going through the final checklist for launch of “God's Black Sheep Squadron.” The extended forecast calls for a warm, sunny day, nine days from blastoff.

I have never birthed a book before. The process is exhilarating. I feel the same excitement I had leading up to the births of my three children, then felt it again when  Zoom was born early dawn on March 17th, 2005. St. Patrick's Day will be a trifecta for me since this book will share its birthday with Nicole, celebrating her 18th birthday, and Zoom,  turning six years old.

I promised my Zoom partners that I will not allow this book to get in the way of my work duties. The challenge is to manage my time properly so that I get quality time with my family while growing our business and nurturing this new little baby. I am hoping to share my experiences and my new book with target audiences that include churches and other groups searching for a speaker for their events. Ideally, a couple of speaking engagements per month will help me to spread the word about my memoir.

I held back tears last night as members of my writers group shared their sentiments about my work.

"Your writing has changed since you first joined us in the summer," Pete said last night.

The newest member of the group said, "I love your Angels in the outfield reference in the opening credits.  You made me feel like I belong in the story."

A third member told me, "Mike, I had to put the first chapter down and it took me a long time to go back to it because of the intense emotion I felt."

This last comment impacted me the most because it was the first chapter written months ago and it has been modified several times in an effort to connect with readers on a deeper level than the rough draft.  Crafting this memoir is as much a journey as my father's life.  I feel the writers group is a litmus test for how the world will feel when launch takes place in nine days.  I give praise to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for Divine intervention in this project.  Mountains are moving.  I love being a child of God and I love the people He placed in my life to achieve the impossible.  With God, ALL things are possible.

Let the final countdown begin.  Nine days to go!

No comments: