Friday, December 3, 2021

What's the Hype About Intermittent Fasting?

 Before I offer my two cents about today's question, I'm tossing in the standard disclaimer.  Please, please, please, consult your physician and seek the proper guidance before making changes to your routine.  I'm not authorized to give medical advice.  My stories are simply meant to share what I'm doing to improve my own health.  I'm all about experiments and I certainly don't mind be a lab rat. 

Ask yourself why you eat three meals a day and throw in snacks between meals.  Is this because everyone else you know does this?  Is it because your parents passed on to you and your siblings what they learned from their parents?  Have you ever considered that the people who package your food found clever ways to modify the food so you will always be hungry?  This sounds sinister, doesn't it?  They find out what to add to your food to cause an addiction and you find yourself always hungry.  

Intermittent fasting, or time restricted eating as it's labeled by some nutritionists, is all about bucking the norms we all grew up with.  My argument in favor of this has everything to do with what I consider a failed food experiment, that is, three meals a day and eat when you're hungry.  The failure can be measured by belly size and scales.  Why not hype up intermittent fasting and give it a try for 45 days or so and see what happens?  If you can survive the temporary hunger pangs from skipping meals and your doctor is on board, experiment for yourself and decide if the improvements are worthy of making this idea permanent.  What do you have to lose?  Have a great day.

No comments: