Saturday, September 5, 2020

A Lesson from a Triple Whammy Survivor

 She doesn't know I'm writing this story about her.  Her name will remain anonymous.  We met yesterday during a visit to my day job.  There was this point in our conversation when she turned her head away from me and said, "I'm not going to cry."  She got to my heart.  I'm sharing this story because the lesson here is no matter what you're going through, you can get through it.  Jane is not her real name.  Just picture your grandmother when you read about her...

"What kind of business do you have, Jane?"  I asked.

"I'm a farmer."

"Were you affected by the Derecho (this is a class II land hurricane that swept through our state recently)?"

"My farm suffered a $400,000 loss.  My crops are completely destroyed.  My husband passed away recently.  The good news is my animals and my family are okay.  Michael, I was talking with one of my neighbors and he said to me, 'We have survived the triple whammy.'  He was referring to the flood we had, the pandemic we're going through and now, the Derecho.  Each one of these is supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime event.  We are farmers and we are survivors."

Jane will always be a part of me from now on.  I'm so thankful to be able to serve people like her.  They are the backbone of our country.  Please keep Jane and her neighbors in your prayers today.  Be thankful for all that you have.  Jane helped me to put everything in perspective.  It really is important to be grateful for the blessings in your life.  Have a great day.


No comments: