Saturday, June 15, 2024

Hedging My Bet on Retirement

 Your decision on a retirement date is personal.  Although there are many factors, I'm considering something based on my food experiments that may or may not extend my life beyond normal expectancy.  The jury is out on the potential success of the theories proposed by longevity scientists.  Here's my thought process:

I did a break-even analysis the other day to see exactly when I hit the magic number and recover lost income from retiring before age 70.  That point is age 73.  Should I cross over into the promised land prior to that point, the government wins.  Should I live longer than age 73, my wife and I win and we hit bonus bucks.  I feel great about this bet but it's not the only factor.

I already feel like I'm living my dreams.  Sure, retirement is enticing.  My opinion on my current situation is that six more years of working at my day job gives me the opportunity to accomplish everything on my list of goals.  I want to maximize the lives of the people around me.  This is the perfect time to do that.  How about you?  What influences your retirement date?  Whatever you decide, I hope you live long and prosper.  Have a great day.

No comments: