Friday, April 5, 2019

A Fun Way to Tone Your Debt Discipline Muscles


These days many households find themselves underwater when it comes to balancing finances.  I know what it feels like to have holes in the budget bucket.  There are daredevils who prefer no budget at all.  I'm taking a non-traditional approach to financial freedom.  I don't believe in starvation diets or skipping vacations to make ends meet.  In fact, being underwater at times is a great way to enjoy the journey as long as you learn to navigate properly without drowning in debt.  It's breathtaking.

My wife and I decided to retire our mortgage debt in three years and we're now in our 4th month of what we call the "Par for the Course" virtual debt relief game I created.  The idea is to have more fun while hacking away at our mortgage loan so we can live in financial independence.  We're refining the game as we play in order to offer it to others who may want to give it a try.  As of today, I'm giving myself a "C" for the course.  What really matters is the final exam which takes place on 12/31/21.  After reviewing all the sand traps and hazards on the first four holes, I'm elated to be at a "C" because now I'm gaining confidence and every hole will be easier to play as I tone my debt discipline muscles and improve my performance.  The photo you see above is from our vacation to Maui last month.  Most of our activities were prepaid including the snorkel cruise where this photo was captured.  I'm allocating a fixed dollar amount from every paycheck into a separate account that is being used to pay down our mortgage at an accelerated rate.  Dave Ramsey would call it "gazelle-like focus."  I call it having fun on the virtual golf course while paying attention to any obstacles in my way.  I expect to be underwater, in the sand trap or even flat on my back when my clubs get too heavy to carry but I also expect to win.  I feel really good about getting out of the latest sand trap and now I'm back on dry land with a 70% par rate for the first part of the journey.  Follow this blog if you're interested in this debt relief game and I'll share my lessons with you as I go.  It's worth it to get a grip on your finances.  Have a great day.

No comments: