Monday, April 15, 2019

Men's 55+ Tennis Season Ends in Nail Biter


I joined my co-captain on court one for the final match of our men's 55+ season yesterday and suddenly remembered I wasn't wearing my pink bandana in honor of the great man we lost last year due to pancreatic cancer about four games into the match. Maybe Dr. Fred Deitz sent us some extra inspiration from his side of the rainbow because we needed everything we had in our back pocket to defeat one of the strongest teams in our age group.  The other two matches were finished before we completed the first set in our two-hour long marathon match.  Final score, 7-6, 7-6.

The Manhattans we said we would drink in honor of our departed friend will need to be on hold until the end of next season.  Despite our best efforts, we finished our season without any team wins.  The opponents may be getting older every year but they're also getting savvier.   I salute my opponent, Roger, who dropped 40 pounds since October when he decided to give up unhealthy foods and exercise more.  I'm really happy our final tribute of the year to Fred ended on a positive note with our win on court one.  Next season looks promising with the addition of two talented players who became age eligible late in our season, including my co-captain, Jim, and my good friend and fellow leftie, Art.  Next season I will continue to wear the pink bandana in honor of Dr. Fred Dietz who will be with us in spirit until we meet again.  Special thanks to all my team-mates who fought so hard and played well.  I'm betting on our team to have a cinderalla season next year when we go from last place to first place.  Have a great day.

No comments: