Friday, December 2, 2016

Please Cue the Twilight Zone Music


This is a follow-up to yesterday's story about my ancestors on my Mom's side of the family from Northern Spain.  Last year I visited my cousin Mary, the oldest member of our generation, and she told me about an upcoming family vacation she was taking in Europe.  One of my relatives told her there was a town in Spain named after our ancestors and asked if Mary might be able to check it out.  That's a needle in a haystack.  Mary found the needle on the map but she and her husband had a full itinerary and opted not to do a drive by.  They hit a detour while driving through the country and came upon a road sign indicating Rubalcaba was just minutes away.  They snapped pictures.  Here's where the story gets interesting.  Please cue the Twilight Zone music...

I had a very clear picture in my head about what the main character from The Caveman in the Mirror was supposed to look like.  It was so clear that the image was haunting me every night in my dreams.  I scoured the internet for an image of a dark-skinned, blue-eyed scraggly man who was supposed to be a distant relative.  I found him.  Click here for a link to the story about the 7,000 year-old caveman they excavated in Northern Spain.  Here's the kicker – the excavation site is only 149 miles away from Rubalcaba!  This caveman is very special.  The DNA extracted from his molar  is the oldest ever to be recovered.  I'm stunned by this revelation.  I'll write more about this in future posts.  Have a great day.

No comments: