Sunday, June 21, 2015

My Father's Day Fishing Story


Happy Father's Day to all the dads.  What a blessing it is to be celebrating the first day of summer, the longest day of the year and Father's Day today.  I'm remembering the first day I took our kids fishing at Kinze's pond in Iowa with my father-in-law.  It didn't matter that the biggest fish caught was merely four inches long.  We created memories that will last a lifetime.

I really like this quote:  Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime.  It summarizes the essence of fatherhood.  My dad and my father-in-law are both in Heaven now.  They passed the fishing pole to me and I've handed it off to our children.  Their fishing expeditions are taking them to watering holes far away from Kinze's pond and they are well-equipped to eat for a lifetime because they learned to fish for dreams.  That's why I'm smiling today.  I'm savoring fond memories like the one pictured above.  There is no greater reward than being a dad.  Happy Father's Day.

No comments: