Monday, June 29, 2015

Are You Smarter than a Debt Collector?


One of the most important lessons I've learned about dealing with third party debt collectors is the rules of engagement.  Most people in the business rely on your lack of understanding.  They harass you by calling at inappropriate times or too frequently.  They say inappropriate things to scare you into submission.  Hiding from them is not the best solution.  You must become smarter than a debt collector.

Bad things happen to good people.  So do good things.  A zombie debt buyer recently hired a zombie third party debt collector to shake me down.  I sent a certified letter to the zombie and let him know I know the rules.  It's like opening a window and letting the light shine on a vampire.  They flee back into the darkness as long as you know how to respond.  The best place to start is by reading the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.  I quoted the FDCPA in my letter.  The zombie responded within twenty-four hours that the account is closed.  I'll share more in my next book.  Have a great day.

No comments: