Wednesday, March 18, 2015

If You're Gonna Do It, Do It Right


I heard my dad's familiar words of wisdom in my head yesterday while sipping a green beer in his honor with my family on St. Patrick's Day.  The wheels fell off my novel just before it was to be released on Amazon and I was busy cleaning the green eggs and ham off my face.  Customers were already standing in line at my chocolate factory but I had no sugar in stock.  Ouch!  I carefully considered my options to correct the problem - a missing front cover.  The quick fix was to add a generic book cover.  The other options were more complex and time consuming.  One FaceBook friend urged me to go generic and get it done.  It was tempting.  Then I heard my dad's voice in my head.  He whispered, "if you're gonna do it, do it right."

There have been many times in my life when those words of wisdom paid dividends.  Job interviews.  Choosing my spouse.  Raising children.  Deciding to follow Jesus.  I've never "gone generic" during moments of truth.  I'm following my dad's advice.  I'm going to do it right.  If you're one of my readers waiting in line for your chocolate bar, don't worry.  I'm ordering sugar.  My goal is to have the cover done by today, submit it, and order the proof for a taste test.  If it tastes right, you'll be able to place your order on Amazon.  Have a great day.

No comments: