Tuesday, March 31, 2015

How I Hit a Home Run With My Front Cover


The search for a front cover graphic illustrator for my new novel was like Indiana Jones seeking the ark of the covenant in his first movie.  He traveled far and wide and his prize was elusive.  My detective skills kept coming up short.  Emails to journalists who published photos of the caveman I was seeking went unanswered.  Then I found him, the artist who painted the perfect caveman drawing.  He was on the other side of the world in Spain.  I emailed a request in Spanish.  The rejection hit me harder than a Trevor Hoffman fastball at my gut in the bottom of the ninth when time was running out for publication.  No way, Jose.  The caveman belonged to the academic world and I was at a dead-end facing a giant eight ball coming right at me with giant spikes sticking out of it.  The solution was five miles away.  I could have walked to their doorstep from my home.

The journey reminded me of my younger years when I met my future wife.  We both lived in the same apartment complex at the same time but never met.  How could I miss someone so stunning?   And that's what happened with Elite Sports.  I searched the world over looking for my ark of the covenant and it was right in front of me the whole time.  These guys never made a front cover before.  They really didn't know what the rules were.  I didn't give them much direction.  Sometimes it's just better to stay out of the way and let people work their magic.  So, I got my home run.  Let's hear it for the local team at Elite Sports.  Thank you!  And if you want to see the caveman they created for me, Go to Amazon and search for The Caveman in the Mirror.  It's right next to the ark of the covenant.

No comments: